Volunteers offer us invaluable support. With a story to tell as big as the postal service, extra help is always welcome!
Our volunteers have helped to promote the BPMA by hosting a stand at Stampex, prepared parts of our collection for cataloguing, created a new index database for the Post Office staff magazines, and assisted us with the running of tours at the Museum Store.
We have also had Access & Learning interns developing web materials, an education pack, a loan box for schools and working with our Friends. Thanks again to everyone who has pitched in.
Current projects being worked on by some of our volunteers include:
- Researching and compiling information to form short biographies of poster artists
- Providing assistance in managing open afternoons at the Museum Store
- Documenting philatelic material and re-housing it prior to full cataloguing
- Assisting with the indexing of Post Office magazines
- POST 118 series (Post Office photograph library) repackaging and cataloguing
- Trusts and foundations fundraising research
- Documenting and cataloguing the museum's telecommunications collection
- Promoting the BPMA by representing us at external events
- Researching elements of Post Office history for exhibitions and events
Future projects the BPMA would consider for volunteers include:
- Press and marketing support
- Cleaning and packing parts of the collection
- Documentation of objects
- Assisting with cataloguing work
- Editing and moving forward the object names thesaurus
- Summarising oral history interviews
How to get involved
Occasionally we advertise for specific volunteer roles on our Jobs page.
Other Ways to Support Us
You can also support us by joining the Friends of the BPMA. We thank you for any help you can give.