The BPMA has seven motorcycles in its collection. The earliest of these dates from 1965. Motorcycles were first purchased by the Post Office in 1914. This first fleet mainly consisted of New Hudson, Douglas Brothers and Rover Co. Machines.
At first they were only used in rural areas and were capable of carrying more mail than a man on a bicycle could manage. The first motorcycles had sidecars which meant that they could be used on collection as well as delivery duties. The first experimental use of solo motorcycles was in 1924.
Examples from our Collection
Here are some examples of motorcycles from our collection: