Local Post Offices
Our Archive holds a variety of different sources that will assist local historians in their research on particular Post Office premises. The material is scattered over a number of archive classes as well as our Portfolio Collection:
- POST 74: Solicitor's Department (contains prosecution briefs) (not currently available on the online catalogue)
- POST 118: Photographs 20th century
- POST 55: Handstruck Date Stamps Proof Books
- POST 29, 34, 39, 41 and 43 for packet records (mail sent by sea)
- POST 40: Postmaster General's Reports
- POST 92: Post Office Publications
Examples from our Collection
Here are some examples of material on Post Office premises in our collection:
Letter written by the Postmaster General to Mr Jones of Falmouth Post Office Packet Station.
Reference to Sanquhar Sub Post Office, possibly the world's oldest working post office.
Booklet published by the GPO about the development of postal services in Bristol.