George VI Lamp Box, 1947-1952
Accession number: OB1994.13
This is an example of a later type of lamp box that was designed in 1940 but did not come into circulation until 1949 because of the Second World War. It was larger and lighter than earlier models and made of steel with a cast iron front. The top also became square and the aperture larger. 'LETTERS ONLY' was now replaced with 'POST OFFICE'.
The lamp boxes in use today are very similar to this design, except, of course that they have Elizabeth II's cipher and 'ROYAL MAIL' has replaced the words 'POST OFFICE'. They are often now fixed to their own pedestal or built into suitable walls. Lamp boxes nowdays are generally only used in rural areas and areas of few postings.