We have a User Card system to ensure the security and safety of both our collections and our users.
For your first visit, please bring some form of identification with you in order to get a User Card. The ID needs to show your signature and your current address (a combination of ID can be used, see below for examples).
Please note that this card is unique to The British Postal Museum & Archive. It will not apply to any other archive.
BPMA User Cards are valid for four years.
To get a User Card, you will also need to read and abide by the Search Room regulations.
You cannot apply in advance, but you can download and print an application form (PDF, 94.5KB) to bring with you.
Acceptable Forms of ID
Proof of both identity and address will be required. This can be one document providing evidence of both, or two documents - one verifying the identity and the other the address.
Acceptable forms of identification are:
- Current Driving Licence (showing address)
- Bank statement (dated within the last three months)
- Passport (where address is entered by the official issuing authority)
- Utilities bill (dated within the last three months)
- NHS medical card
- Benefit book
- Council tax statement for the current year
- TV Licence
- National ID card with address
- Home insurance policy
- Pay slip
- HM Customs and Revenues statement
- Home Office permit to stay
- University certificate for Halls of Residence (stamped and signed by the educational institution)
- Driving Licence
- Bank/credit card
- National ID card
- Police/Customs/Home Office warrant
- Forces ID card
- NUJ pass
- Staff ID card
- Bus/Rail card
- Library card
- Current TNA or British Library card
- Birth certificate
Both identity and address
- Passport (Where address entered by official issuing authority)
- Driving Licence (showing address)