Search Room Regulations
Because our archive material is unique, and much of it is legally Public Record, we have a few simple rules for users to follow:
- Please be considerate of our staff and other users when in the Search Room;
- Please keep noise to an absolute minimum to avoid disturbing other researchers. Mobile phones must be switched off;
- Please follow the guidance of our staff in all archive matters. In particular please handle all records with utmost care and please do not add or remove anything from any record. Records should be kept in their original order;
- Please leave your bag and coat in a locker in the Reception area;
- Please use a pencil or personal computer when taking notes;
- Self-service copying is allowed from microfilm or microfiche. There is a charge for this. Visitors must complete a 'Request for Reprographic Services' form;
- We allow photography of documents. Please ask staff for a master copyright declaration;
- Alternatively staff can carry out copying. Please ask;
- Last orders for documents must be handed to staff by 4.30pm, or 6.30pm on Thursdays;
- Please do not smoke anywhere in The Royal Mail Archive;
- Please do not eat or drink in the Search Room – only in the Reception area;
- Closed circuit television is in operation.
E-mail the Search Room if you have any questions about the Search Room regulations.